Thursday, March 27, 2014

Bourbon-Baked Squash

Acorn squash is my least favorite of the winter squashes. I much prefer the solid texture and sweeter flesh of the butternut squash when it comes to the winter gourds. So anything that might up the flavor ante for the humble acorn squash, such as this recipe for "Bourbon-Baked Squash" (page 383) is likely to catch my eye. Each side of the halved and seeded squash is filled with a splash of bourbon, a sprinkling of sugar and allspice, and per the recipe, a dab of margarine (I omitted the margarine completely). The prepared halves are then baked in the oven until tender. The picture I used here was prior to baking, so you can see the small pool of bourbon sitting in the cavity, and the sprinkles of brown sugar and allspice. This is definitely a nice way to capitalize on the otherwise mild flavor of acorn squash!
 
Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:
 
ΓΌ     Omit the margarine - you won't even miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment