Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chickpea & Vegetable Curry

My husband just isn't a curry fan. I've tried many ways to sneak a curry by him, but even when I change the name of a recipe, thinking he won't notice if I don't tell him, he figures it out. He'll walk into the kitchen and say, "Is that cumin I smell?", or, "How much turmeric did you put in that?", before he's ever tried a bite.  But in the spirit of never giving up, I did prepare the "Chickpea & Vegetable Curry" (page 258), hoping this would be the curry dish that would steal his heart. Although he still wasn't wooed over, he did say "its not so bad". Hey, this is progress! Baby steps, but progress! However, I enjoyed this dish very much. It is bursting with vegetables, like onion, carrot, potato, and peas, seasoned with garlic, ginger, and the usual array of curry spices (cumin, coriander, ginger, curry powder). Raisins and coconut milk lend a sweetness that counterbalances the heat and spice. This is everything a wonderful curry dish should be! I prefer not to use coconut milk because of the high saturated fat content, so instead I used rice milk flavored with coconut extract. This worked out very well.
 
"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" checklist:
ü  Omit the olive oil when cooking the veggies. Instead, use a non-stick skillet and/or a little water, broth, or sherry as the sauté liquid.
ü  Substitute an equal amount of soy or rice milk flavored with ½ teaspoon of coconut extract for the 13.5 ounces of coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment