Monday, February 4, 2013

Curried Walnut "Chicken" Salad

Here is another recipe that can be transformed into a quick meal if you have all the ingredients on hand. "Curried Walnut 'Chicken' Salad" (page 83) can be served in wraps (like I did), or scooped onto a lettuce leaf as an alternative. Seitan stands in for the 'chicken', and is combined with chopped walnuts, celery, carrot, green onions, raisins, curry powder, and a combination of vegan mayo and yogurt. When I made this I was unable to find vegan yogurt, so I used mayo only, but added a teaspoon of lemon juice to give it the tang that would have come from the yogurt. Both my husband and I really liked these, but then again, there isn't much we don't enjoy in a wrap!

 
"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" checklist:

ü     Omit the 1 tablespoons of oil when sautéing the seitan; use a nonstick skillet instead with a little water, sherry, or broth to prevent sticking (seitan will tend to stick without some kind of moisture even in a nonstick skillet).

ü     Make your own seitan (Basic Simmered Seitan), or make sure you purchase an oil free variety.

ü     Buy oil free vegan mayo, or make your own ( Vegan Mayo).

ü     Oil free vegan yogurt might be hard to find, but if available, use it. Or, just use all mayo as I did, and add a little fresh lemon juice.

ü     If using wraps, look for whole grain oil free varieties, such as the sprouted wraps from "Food For Life" brand of bread products.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. ASHA Patail wrote: Your articles help me a lot in all mediums of subjects.

      Thanks ASHA! I really appreciate your kind words!!

      Delete