Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lemony Lentil and Rice Soup

The title "Lemony Lentil and Rice Soup" (page 164) might lead you to believe that lemon is a predominant flavor in this soup, but in fact, in just about 4-quarts of soup, there is only one tablespoon of lemon juice, so it plays a supporting role, rather than starring center stage. A more apt name for this might be Tomato-y Lentil and Rice Soup, as the recipe calls for a can of crushed tomatoes, plus two cups of tomato juice.  I personally don't like predominately tomato based soups unless it is just tomato soup, so I used the crushed tomatoes, but substituted two cups of broth for the tomato juice.  The only McDougall type change I had to make was leaving out the oil for sautéing the vegetables.  I also opted to use just ½ cup uncooked rice instead of the ¾ cup called for, as I didn't want it quite as thick as the recipe said it would be.

This is a very good soup!  I'm not sure how different it would have been had I followed all the directions exactly, but Robin Robertson herself says we should follow our own likes and dislikes when preparing any recipe, and if we know ahead of time we like something, or don't like something, to adjust accordingly.  I think it wouldn't have been all that different, in any case.  Earthy lentils and rice, a spattering of onion, celery, and carrot, cooked into a delicious soup - how could you go wrong?  This made a big batch, perfect for reheating a couple of times over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment