Monday, December 20, 2010

Green and Yellow Split Pea Soup

This is the time of year for soup, and I guess I'm on a roll with green soups!  But I just couldn't resist making the "Green and Yellow Split Pea Soup" (page 163) after buying some of the freshest split peas I've come across in a long while.  I have prepared many variations of split pea soup, and haven't come across one yet I don't like, but this is the first time I combined both yellow and green peas in the same pot.  The vibrant colors of the peas along with the orange from the carrot made this so bright and colorful, a pleasure to prepare.  I also added some chopped fresh parsley and garlic at the end of the cooking time (not part of the recipe) just because that sounded good to me.  The only change I made to make this McDougall friendly was to omit the oil when sautéing the onions.  The recipe gives the option of adding vegan kielbasa, which I did, a very nice touch, but the soup would still have been very delicious without it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment