Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Vegan Mayonnaise

It took me quite a long time to get over my love affair with commercial egg and oil laden mayonnaise.  And I know if I were to put Kraft or Hellman's back into my fridge, I would still enjoy it.  But I also know this is not in my best interest, so over the years I have experimented with lots of vegan, oil free mayos, both store bought, and homemade, in an attempt to find an all purpose spread that works on sandwiches, in sauces, dressings, and salads.  Eventually I settled on a silken tofu based recipe, and it has served me well for quite some time.

However, I'm always open to new ideas! I saw the recipe for "Vegan Mayonnaise" (page 573) as a suggested dressing for the "Creamy Coleslaw" which I plan to make later today, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.  The ingredients in this recipe make it quite similar to the recipe I have been using up until now.  There are a couple of differences, such as using apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice, and adding Dijon mustard.  But the most significant difference, and the one that I think makes this a superior mayo, is the addition of cayenne pepper.  That, along with the Dijon and apple cider vinegar, give this vegan mayonnaise the perfect zing - not too hot, but enough to wake your taste buds up just a little. 

I did not have to make any adjustments to this recipe to keep it McDougall Plan friendly. This might become my new favorite mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment