Thursday, October 21, 2010

EBAP (Everything But Animal Products) Pizza

Once you get the Basic Pizza Dough prepared (see post above), you are instructed to proceed to the topping recipe of your choice.  I decided to try the "EBAP (Everything But Animal Products) Pizza" (p.130) first.  The recipe has you roll out the prepared dough, spread it over a 12" round pizza pan, and spread one tablespoon of oil over the top of the dough.  Since my oven can't handle that size pan, I used two rectangular cookie sheets.  I could probably have just used one cookie sheet, but I prefer a thinner crust, and the recipe provided enough dough to cover two.  I omitted the oil altogether.

The rest of the recipe consists of adding a layer of pizza sauce, and the EBAP toppings of your choice.  For our pizza I chose mushrooms, onions, bell peppers (all three sautéed first), olives, and artichoke hearts. I had a package of vegan mozzarella style cheese I wanted to try, so I added this as well.  I'm wishing now I had left it off, or at least used a little less.  The flavor and texture seemed to dominate the other ingredients, but I didn't realize this would happen since I had not used this cheese before. Also, the baking time of 12 minutes wasn't long enough, and I had to put the pizza back in for another 15 minutes.  Maybe my oven?  But I like my pizza very hot and the crust crispy so could just be me. 

Other than that, this was a good veggie pizza, food I never seem to tire of.  I had chopped fresh tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and vegan parmesan sprinkles to add at the table.  I rounded out the meal with a tossed green salad.  Good Saturday night eats! 

No comments:

Post a Comment