Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Tahini Broccoli Slaw


My quest for the perfect slaw recipe seems to be never ending. This is the 6th of 9 slaw recipes in this book that I’ve tried so far, and each one is slightly different spin. The “Tahini Broccoli Slaw”, page 75, introduced me to packaged broccoli slaw. I’ve seen it in the grocery store for years, but never bought any until now. I’m a broccoli fan, and I actually enjoy the munching on the raw stems, so I felt confident I would like this salad. The tahini based dressing makes it rather rich, and I found a little went a long way. The salad ingredients consist of premixed broccoli saw (which includes a small amount of shredded carrots and red cabbage) and green onions. The dressing is tahini, miso, rice vinegar, sesame oil and soy sauce. The topping is roasted sesame seeds.

As Robin Robertson often does with these recipes, she used one of the ingredients in several of its forms, in this case, sesame. There was the tahini (sesame seed paste), sesame oil, and toasted sesame seeds. Although I normally eschew oil in my cooking, I do make an exception for sesame oil and use it on occasion as a condiment. This recipe called for 1 tablespoon, I cut that down to 1 teaspoon. I also thought ¼ cup of sesame seeds would be too much, so I used just 2 tablespoons. These adjustments still yielded a very rich and creamy mixture.

My quest continues!

Keeping it “McDougall Friendly” check list:
  • You can leave sesame oil out completely if you want, or cut it way back and still enjoy the strong flavor.

2 comments:

  1. We don't have bags of prepackaged broccoli slaw here, so when I have made these recipes I have shredded stems in my food processor. It would be much easier to just get to buy them! Though I do find that the pre-packaged cabbage slaws are really dry. This looks like a really good dressing though! I think I would also cut down the sesame oil and sesame seeds. 1/4 seeds is a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! That is a great option, shredding the broccoli stems in your food processor. I'm sure that would yield a much fresher and tastier mix. I might try that next time I make a broccoli slaw salad. :)

      Delete