Sunday, December 16, 2018

Moroccan Spice Chickpea & Sweet Potato Stew


“Moroccan-Spiced Chickpea & Sweet Potato Stew”, page 262, is a colorful and boldly spiced stew that can stand alone, or be served over a whole grain of your choice. The vegetable medley alone is enough to impress – carrots, onions, celery, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and green beans. Add to this a blend of exotic spices, including ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and the mixture really comes alive. One thing it didn’t seem to have, though, was a hot spice, so I added two tablespoons of chile paste to the pot. This might be too spicy for some, so if you decide to turn up the heat, start with a little at first, and add more if necessary. I served this delicious stew over a bed of whole wheat couscous the first night, and for a leftover lunch, I added a little broth and served it as a thick soup/stew. The only adjustment I made was to leave out the oil when sautéing the vegetables. Healthy, pretty to look at, delicious to eat. What more could you ask for?

Keeping it “McDougall Friendly” check list:
  • Omit the oil when sautéing the vegetables. Use a non-stick pot and/or replace the oil with broth, water, or sherry. 

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite recipes, from the beginning of my Vegan journey, is Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew. Sounds very similar to this, only my recipe doesn't have carrots and celery. Sweet potatoes, zucchini, onion, garlic, and that same blend of spices. I usually put a small pinch of red pepper flakes in my pot...just the right amount of heat for me. But isn't it yummy! The garbanzos are so scrumptious. Perfect flavor and texture for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, HeidiSue! Thanks for your comments, and for reading my blog! :) I also love garbanzo beans, they are so versatile and absorb flavors so well. This recipe really benefited from the extra spice, didn't it?

      Delete