Saturday, September 15, 2018

Roasted Potato Salad with Chickpeas & Sun-Dried Tomatoes


Whenever I see the words “roasted vegetables” I think “oil”. I’ve tried several times to roast a variety of vegetables, using a variety of methods, but without oil, I have been unable to obtain vegetables that come out with that nice crispy outside and a creamy center. Some things can’t be precisely duplicated when you omit oil, but if you are okay with an alternative approach, there is no reason you can’t have an equally satisfactory outcome. For this recipe, “Roasted Potato Salad with Chickpeas & Sun-Dried Tomatoes”, page 69, I opted to precook the potatoes in my Instant Pot. I love the texture of potatoes that have been cooked whole, waiting to peel and dice after they have been cooked and completely cooled. The resulting texture is a very creamy, yet firm, and perfect for salads. That is what I did for this recipe.

The next challenge in this recipe was making the dressing, which includes 3 tablespoons of oil, half of the total dressing (three tablespoons of white wine vinegar makes up the rest). I mixed up a concoction of 1/3 cup light veggie broth, 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon of guar gum to thicken it up. This worked out perfectly!

The final challenge was finding sun-dried tomatoes that were not packed in oil. I like a brand called California Sun-Dry, a pouch of julienne cut oil free sun-dried tomatoes. They are soft, moist, and ready to eat right out of the pouch. I can’t always find these when I need them, so when I do find them, I get a couple of extra packages to save for later.

Once all these adjustments were in place, I was ready to compose the salad: diced cooked potatoes, diced shallot (or red onion), cooked chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, sliced green olives, parsley, and the dressing, all tossed together into a delicious salad, hearty enough to stand in as an entrée.    

Keeping it “McDougall Friendly” check list:
  • Instead of roasting the potatoes in oil, cook the potatoes whole, and when completely cool, peel and dice.
  • For the dressing, substitute the 3 tablespoons of oil with 1/3 cup of light veggie broth, mix with the vinegar, and add ¼ teaspoon of guar gum to thicken.
  • Use oil-free sun-dried tomatoes.

5 comments:

  1. I made my first recipe from 1000 Vegan Recipes in ages the other night. I have so many cookbooks, I've been neglecting my journey through this one. It was the green bean casserole redux, which was really nice. I used a mix of some french fried onion thingies and the toasted almonds, and I agree with you - the almonds were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Nice to hear from you. :) I know what you mean about having lots of cookbooks, I'm in that same boat. I liked the Green Bean Casserole Redux too, I am always happy when an old classic like that is so nicely remade into a delicious vegan version.

      Delete
  2. You might want to try this for roasted veggies - they come out great!
    https://minimalistbaker.com/oil-free-roasted-vegetables/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi vegan1! Thanks for the link, that looks like a great way to roast veggies oil free, I'll have to check it out. :)

      Delete