Monday, April 16, 2018

Sicilian Penne with Tomatoes & Eggplant


Once again I was happily surprised to find another way to enjoy eggplant. For most of my life, I really thought I didn’t like it, but lately it seems I am acquiring a taste for it, and I have especially enjoyed it just recently in a couple of dishes from this book. 

This latest recipe, “Sicilian Penne with Tomatoes and Eggplant”, page 197, was rich and pleasing, which belied the simplicity of the ingredients list – onion, garlic, eggplant, tomato paste, and crushed tomatoes, with enhancements from a splash of red wine and fresh basil. Somehow this combination tasted like much more than it would suggest, and I continue to be amazed and pleased at my new found appreciation for eggplant.

It’s easy to leave the oil out of this dish by using a little water or broth to sauté the veggies, and with all the other rich flavors, I didn’t miss it all, and you probably won’t either. Once simmered and thickened, serve this delightful sauce over penne pasta, or really, any pasta of your choice. The recipe suggest mixing the cooked pasta and sauce together, but I prefer to top individual servings, in order to monitor the ratio of pasta to sauce. I tend to like more sauce than most recipes suggest, and this was no exception, as the recipe called for a pound of penne, and I cooked about half that much.
  
Keeping it “McDougall Friendly” check list:
  • Replace the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil with a little water or broth when sautéing the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment