Monday, June 30, 2014

Red Chard & Baby Spinach Lasagna

There are no less than eight lasagna recipes in this cookbook, and the "Red Chard & Baby Spinach Lasagna" (page 215) is the third one I've tried so far. I don't think it's possible to serve me a lasagna I won't like. This is comfort food extraordinaire as far as I'm concerned, and I'm always happy for the leftovers so I can enjoy it for several meals each time I make it. (I've also found lasagna freezes very well!). Cooked spinach and red chard (use all spinach or another color chard if red chard isn't available) are mixed with a blend of tofu, nutritional yeast, and a few sprinkles of herbs. Cooked lasagna noodles are layered with the tofu-spinach concoction, marinara, and vegan Parmesan cheese, then baked in the oven until hot and bubbly. The recipe calls for a pound each of firm and soft tofu, but I used two pounds of just firm and it came out perfect. This delightful lasagna would impress someone new to a plant-based diet, and makes a great contribution to a potluck. Add a green salad and warm sourdough bread for a complete meal.
 

Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:

 
ü Omit the olive oil when sautéing the veggies. Instead use a non-stick pan and/or use water, broth, or sherry for the sauté liquid.

4 comments:

  1. Did you have any luck with using uncooked lasagna noodles in the past? I've noticed that they tend to stay hard but wondered what I'm doing wrong. Do you always pre-cook them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ines! I have used uncooked lasagna noodles before, maybe 2 or 3 times, and while they did "work", I wasn't as happy with the consistency and texture of them as I am with the ones I pre-cook. It is a hassle to pre-cook lasagna noodles, though, sometimes that is the one thing that stops me from wanting to make it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Becky, I know exactly what you mean when you say, 'I don't think it's possible to serve me a lasagna I won't like' lol. This does look like 'the real thing'. One of my guilty pleasures = cold leftover lasagne eaten from the baking dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can totally relate to that guilty pleasure, Jennifer! :-)

      Delete