Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Green Beans Niçoise

"Green Beans Niçoise" (page 369) is a hot version of the French classic salade niçoise, minus the lettuce, potatoes, and tuna. There are notes in the recipe for making this more like the classic, but I chose to try the recipe as written. Steamed-tender green beans are tossed with sautéed garlic, tomatoes, and capers, topped off with fresh parsley, and dashed with a bit of salt and pepper. Easy to put together, pretty to look at, and scrumptious to eat.
 
Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:
 
üOmit the olive oil when sautéing the veggies. Instead use a non-stick pan and/or use water, broth, or sherry for the sauté liquid.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! I LOVE nicoise salad. When I ate oil I would fry capers in a few spoonfuls of olive oil and pour them hot over the boiled potatoes. Now I wonder how I would approximate that hot capery taste? Hm, I will have to think about that. Perhaps simmered in a few spoonfuls of a dry white wine, or as you used, some sherry.

    This post has me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle,
      You'll have to let me know if you come up with an alternative for your hot capers and potatoes dish, sounds intriguing! :-)

      Delete