Thursday, February 6, 2014

Barbecue Sauce

In my perfect kitchen world, I would have unlimited time to make everything from scratch, including all my condiments. Having discovered the "Barbecue Sauce" (page 549), I may be one step closer to that dream! I might do whatever is necessary to make time to include this in my condiments repertoire. Did I say I love this barbecue sauce? It is good on hash brown potatoes, veggie burgers or loaves, baked beans, just about anywhere you want that rich tomato-y smoky barbeque flavor. This is a cooked sauce, consisting of sautéed onion, bell pepper, and crushed tomatoes, with added zip and flavor provided by garlic, jalapeño, vinegar, sugar, a couple of spices, and the key ingredient, liquid smoke. The recipe says the liquid smoke is optional, but I consider it essential! The recipe also says to serve this sauce hot, as in just off the stove, but I found it was wonderful right out the refrigerator as well. Make this sauce today and let me know what you think!  
 
Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:
ü  Omit the oil when sautéing the veggies; instead, use a nonstick saucepan and/or water, broth, or sherry as a sauté liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment