Sunday, July 21, 2013

Creamy Cashew Sauce

"Creamy Cashew Sauce" (page 551) is incredibly rich, thick, and creamy. It's hard to believe that there are no thickening agents per se in this recipe, and that the cashews are responsible for the thickening quality in this vegan version of béchamel. Raw cashews are ground to a fine powder in a high speed blender, to which nutritional yeast and soymilk are added (along with salt and cayenne to taste). This mixture is heated and stirred on the stove until it becomes hot, thick, and bubbly. It thickens rather quickly, and you might find, like me, that you will need to add additional soymilk for a thinner sauce. (The recipe also mentions this might be necessary.) Use this sauce anywhere you would use a béchamel or white sauce, such as over pasta, sautéed veggies, or in "Creamy Cashew Fettuccine with Mushrooms & Peas" on page 221. 
 
"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" checklist:

ü No changes are necessary, although I'm sure Dr. McDougall would advise using this sauce sparingly since the cashews make it a very high fat sauce.  

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog from the forums at drmcdougall.com . I ended up buying the cookbook so I could try out some of the recipes. I'm pretty new to this woe and I think your site plus the cookbook will help.

    Jo Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo Anna! I'm so glad you found the McDougall website, it will really help you as immerse yourself in this way of eating. And welcome to my blog! I hope you find helpful ideas and encouragement here! :)

    ReplyDelete