Monday, January 7, 2013

Spice Island Tofu

"Spice Island Tofu" (page 290) reminds me of a sweet and sour chicken dish I used to make in my pre-vegan life. I am thrilled to finally have a dish that brings back the old familiar flavors in a much healthier and kinder presentation. Slices of tofu are dredged in a flavorful blend of cornstarch and spices (thyme, marjoram, cayenne, paprika, and allspice) and browned in skillet. Bell pepper, green onions, and jalapeño are sautéed until tender, then simmered with tomatoes, pineapple chunks and lime juice. This luscious vegetable mixture is then spooned over the prepared tofu and garnished with fresh parsley. I served ours over a bed of brown rice.
 
"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" Checklist:
ü     Omit the oil when browning the tofu and sautéing the veggies (3 tablespoons total); use a nonstick skillet, and/or a little water or broth instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment