Sunday, December 9, 2012

Baked Pasta Shells & Broccoli

"Baked Pasta Shells & Broccoli" (page 224) really hit the spot for me the other day when I was craving a hot and creamy casserole style dinner. Pasta dishes usually equate to comfort food for me, and this dish was no exception. Small pasta shells and steamed broccoli are mixed together with  Mornnay-Style Cheeze Sauce , topped with breadcrumbs and baked in the oven until hot and bubbly. I had the same problem this time around thickening up the Mornay Sauce as I did the first time I made it. I'm not sure why, I normally don't have an issue with sauces, but in this recipe either less soymilk is needed, or more thickening agent . I added flour (instead of additional cornstarch) both times I've made it to get the sauce to the desired thickness. The recipe calls for 3 cups of the sauce, and the recipe for it makes just 2. I doubled the recipe and used all of it, as I didn't mind a little extra creaminess. This dish is practically McDougall friendly as written, as long as you omit the tablespoon of oil from the Mornay sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment