Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Asian Slaw

One of nine slaw recipes in this book, the "Asian Slaw" (page 74) incorporates daikon radish, green onions, parsley, and fresh ginger into the standard mix of shredded cabbage and carrots. The dressing calls for a small amount of sesame oil to further enhance the Asian flavors of this salad, in addition to 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, along with rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and mustard. I will normally omit all oil in recipes, and look for tasty substitutions to replace it with. In this case I did omit the grapeseed oil, but for the unique flavor provided by sesame oil, I used ½ teaspoon - it is so flavorful, a little really does go a long way! I added a splash of sherry for extra moisture and flavor. The recipe lists chopped peanuts as an optional topping (which I decided to skip this time). This is a very tasty salad that would make a great accompaniment to any Asian-themed meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment