Monday, January 9, 2012

Curried Pumpkin Soup

In late Autumn, I baked a pumpkin and ended up with about 10 cups of pumpkin mash, which I froze in 2-cup containers. Since then I've had my eye out for pumpkin based recipes, and the "Curried Pumpkin Soup" (page 172) caught my attention. This soup is not overly curried, and you can use a hot or mild blend, depending on your preferences. Vegetable stock, pumpkin puree and coconut milk form the broth, along with minced onion, garlic, and ginger. Since I avoid coconut milk due to the high saturated fat content, I substituted 1.5 cups soymilk flavored with ½ teaspoon of coconut extract. This is a great replacement that still adds creaminess and flavor to the soup. Once ladled into bowls, the soup is topped with optional toppings of minced parsley, mango chutney, and roasted cashews.  I omitted the oil when sautéing the veggies, using a little broth instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment