Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chickpea & Vegetable Loaf

The "Chickpea and Vegetable Loaf" (page 265) is one of the few recipes I've come across so far that did not include oil, and required no changes to keep it McDougall friendly. I was more than pleased about that!  The loaf is a mixture of shredded vegetables (carrots, onions, potatoes), combined in a food processor with chickpeas, flour (gluten or chickpea - I used gluten to give the loaf more chew), seasonings, and spices. The only moistener in the recipe outside of the chickpeas, is 1 tablespoon soy sauce, which was not enough liquid to hold all the ingredients together.  As I have had to do with other burger and loaf recipes from this book, I ended up adding a small amount of broth to the dry ingredients to help pull everything together. The end result was a delicious veggie loaf that was wonderful served with potatoes and gravy the night I made it, and just as satisfying as a vegan "meatloaf" sandwich filling later on.

4 comments:

  1. How much broth did you add? My guess based on ingredients would be about 1/4 cup.
    I'm thinking of making this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I made 1/2 cup of broth, and added about 2 TBLs at a time until the loaf reached a consistency that would hold together. I ended up adding around 3-4 tablespoons total. Dependending on your ingredients (fresh versus canned chickpeas, the type of flour you use, the moistness of your veggies, etc.), you might not have to add any additional liquid, or, like me, just a little extra to bring it all together. So, start with the recipe as written and see where you're at, and if you need exra broth, add it just a little at a time. Hope this helps! Let me know how it comes out if you decide to try it!

      Delete
    2. I just made this and also found that more liquid was needed. I added water until the mixture looked "right' to me (did not measure). I omitted the breadcrumbs.
      I also found that this would not fit in my 7 cup food processor, so I ended up combining the ingredients by hand in a large mixing bowl. It was very good and made a large loaf.

      Delete
    3. Hi KathyD! Glad to hear you were able to make this work for you as well, with a little improvisation. It does make a great loaf! And a lot! :)

      Delete