Thursday, October 13, 2011

Some-Kinda-Nut Burgers

I love veggie burgers, on a bun, with all the fixins', so I have really enjoyed trying the burger recipes in this book - five so far, out of eleven. "Some-Kinda-Nut Burgers" (page 120) calls for 1 cup of unsalted mixed nuts, any kind you want.  I opened my freezer and pulled out all my zip locked packages of nuts and seeds and ended up with a dab each of walnuts, pecans, cashews, sunflower seeds, almonds, pine nuts, and pumpkin seeds.  You certainly don't have to use that many different varieties of nuts and seeds, but I had them, so I used them.  In addition to the ground up nuts, the rest of the burger contains onion, carrot, gluten flour, oats, peanut butter, and a few herbs and spices.  As usual, I omitted the oil when sautéing the veggies.  The recipe says this will make four burgers, but I ended up with six.  Probably this is a matter of taste, and how thick you like your burger patties.  I served them on whole wheat rolls with mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickle, and onion. This is definitely rich food, but if you make six burgers like I did, the amount of nuts (including the peanut butter) per burger breaks down to just over 1 ½ tablespoons each.

No comments:

Post a Comment