Saturday, September 3, 2011

Italian Rice with Seitan & Mushrooms

Billed as an Italian version of dirty rice, the "Italian Rice with Seitan and Mushrooms" (page 271) is a blend of cooked rice, sautéed veggies (onions, mushrooms, garlic), and browned seitan, seasoned with garlic, basil, fennel seed and red pepper flakes. The recipe instructions call for sautéing the veggies and seitan in two tablespoons of oil, but I omitted the oil altogether and sautéed everything in my dry non-stick skillet.  After combining all the components, the dish seemed a bit on the dry side, so I moistened it with a cup of warmed veggie broth.  I'm not sure if using the oil would have prevented this, but the broth was definitely a great addition, adding both moisture and flavor, without adding fat.  The recipe gives you the option of using either white or brown rice, but with just one set of instructions, i.e., cooking the rice for 30 minutes.  If you use brown rice (as I did, and it was delicious), you will likely have to increase the cooking time to 40-45 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, I've followed you from the McDougall Forum. Love your photos and recipe reviews!

    What brand is your non-stick skillet?

    Thanks. Teri PDX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teri! Thanks for your kind words! :)
    I have a set of cookware from Berndes, the brand that Mary McDougall recommends. I have three skillets and three sauce pans, got them 4 years ago and have absolutely loved them!

    ReplyDelete