Friday, June 10, 2011

Green Bean & Pear Salad with Almonds

"Green Bean & Pear Salad with Almonds" (page 63) reminds me of an exotic Waldorf salad, substituting pears for apples, almonds for walnuts, and carrots for celery.  Add to this raisins, green beans, and onions, and top with a creamy spicy dressing and somehow it all comes together, served atop a bed of salad greens.  The dressing calls for ¼ cup sesame oil, which I reduced to 1 teaspoon.  Normally I would omit the oil altogether, but I wanted at least a hint of the flavor the sesame oil would provide. In keeping with the advice from Mary McDougall, sesame oil can be used as a flavor enhancer in tiny amounts, on rare occasions.  I used up one of my occasions with this recipe.  This is a good main dish salad to serve on a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment