Friday, April 8, 2011

Asparagus Dijon

My favorite way to eat asparagus is just lightly steamed, topped with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt & pepper.  Maybe some garlic if I'm feeling extravagant. But ever afraid of getting into a rut, from time to time I will try something new, like the "Asparagus Dijon" on page 355.  This was quite simple, and consisted of combining Dijon mustard, sherry vinegar (I used straight sherry instead, since I didn't want to buy a bottle of vinegar I would likely not use very often), shallots, soy sauce, and oil.  Instead of oil, I used water, and thickened the vinaigrette with 1/8 teaspoon guar gum, an amazingly effective way to thicken up a dressing and keep it fat-free.  The recipe suggested the asparagus could be served warm or chilled.  I decided to be even more adventurous and serve it cold, a good choice, especially on a hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment