Monday, January 31, 2011

Romaine and Grape Tomato Salad with Avocado and Baby Peas

What really made the "Romaine and Grape Tomato Salad with Avocado and Baby Peas" (page 50) shine was the wonderful dressing, which, with my alterations, ended up tasting quite a bit like a Caesar salad dressing.  As written, the dressing calls for fresh garlic and shallot, some herbs, salt & pepper, white wine vinegar (I didn't have any white wine vinegar, so used unseasoned rice vinegar instead), and 1/3 cup olive oil.  Since the oil makes up the bulk of the dressing, I couldn't just leave it out without replacing it with something else. I decided to use one tablespoon tahini, plus enough water to equal 1/3 cup, and the results were fantastic!  Because the dressing came out somewhat thin, I added 1/8 teaspoon guar gum to thicken it up ever so slightly - perfection!  This dressing will certainly become one of my go-to picks, on this salad, or any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment