Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Peruvian-Inspired Stuffed Potatoes

Not only are potatoes highly recommended on The McDougall Plan, they happen to be high on my list of favorite foods, as well.  But I was just a tiny bit skeptical when I read the recipe for "Peruvian-Inspired Stuffed Potatoes" (page 341) and saw raisins listed as an ingredient. I like raisins in lots of things, but never tried them in a potato before. (I thought this might appeal more to my husband, who, even though somewhat finicky, is always asking me to include raisins in anything I bake.)  Besides the raisins, these double baked potatoes are also stuffed with onion, garlic, tofu, olives, and parsley and happen to be very good! Actually it was hard to tell the difference between the raisins and the olives, not only in appearance, but in texture and taste as well.  I simplified the recipe somewhat by substituting diced green onions instead of bulb onion, and I didn't sauté any of the ingredients at all (thereby passing up the oil altogether).  I simply baked the potatoes, scooped out the flesh, mixed in the remaining ingredients, stuffed back into the potato skins and baked.  The leftovers were excellent the next day, reheated briefly in the microwave.

1 comment: