Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cashew Cream

Every December 31st my mother would blend up a batch of Grasshoppers to help us ring in the New Year, a mixed drink consisting of Crème de Menthe, Crème de Cacao, heavy cream, and ice, and it was my Grandmother whom I remember liking them best!  This year, being away from family, I was getting nostalgic for something traditional, and thought I would resurrect the Grasshopper.  Of course, I didn't want to use dairy cream, and thought that the "Cashew Cream" (page 493) would be the perfect choice. Oh, was it ever!  The Cashew Cream is actually one of six options to be used as a base for the vegan ice creams (Nice Creams) in this book, but filled in nicely for the purpose I had in mind.  It is basically equal parts raw cashews and water, blended until smooth and creamy.  Decadent, rich, and thick - almost spoonable - and definitely something to be used sparingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment