Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Spicy Chipotle Potato Quesadillasa

"Spicy Chipotle Potato Quesadillas" (page 32) seemed the perfect accompaniment to the Spicy Pinto Bean Soup" (see review above).  They both use the chipotle chilies in adobo so this gave me another way to start using up the can I opened for the soup.  However, I faced my biggest roadblock thus far trying to keep to the "only whole grain" portion of my challenge, while at the same time keeping it "oil free".  That's because I could not find a tortilla that was both whole grain and oil free.  The tortillas that were (only partially) whole grain had a lot of oil in them.  The fat free tortillas were made with white flour.  I decided that no oil was probably a better choice than whole grain with oil, so I went with the white flour tortillas.  I'm disappointed I had to make this compromise, but I still enjoyed these quesadillas very much.

The ingredients are simple - rough mashed potatoes, onion (which I "dry fried" rather than sautéing in oil), and chipotle, stuffed into a tortilla, and grilled in a skillet.  No oil is required for grilling if you use a non-stick skillet.  I was a little skeptical about how good these would be as I was preparing the filling, since there didn’t seem to be much to this.  But I was very pleasantly surprised!  The texture came out smooth and creamy, with just the right amount of spice from the chipotle to make it interesting.  I made some guacamole to use as a dip, a suggestion from the recipe notes, and this was a great topper.

Since I wasn't using oil to cook the onion and potato, I did add just a tiny bit of soymilk to the mixture, as it seemed the filling might be a little dry otherwise.  My husband and I joked these should be called "papasdillas" (papas meaning 'potato' in Spanish) instead of quesadillas (queso meaning 'cheese'), but we both agreed to call them Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment