Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chipotle-Painted Baked Tofu

If you find yourself trying to figure out what to do with left over chipotle chilies after you open up a can and only use one or two, look no further than "Chipotle-Painted Baked Tofu" (page 288).  This recipe is deceptively simple, just a matter of blending the chipotle with some soy sauce, brushing it on some sliced tofu, and popping it in the oven for a bit. The ingredients as written do include oil, but I just left that completely out, not even bothering to increase the other liquids, or try to replace it with anything.  And, because I once again thought this combination was begging for garlic, I minced up a clove and threw that in as well.

I did have a little trouble blending the mixture to a smooth puree, and I don't know for sure if that is the intention.  You can see from my picture that there were still pieces of the chili that did not break down.  In any case, this did not detract from the end result in the least. The chipotle adds the perfect amount of heat, a nice glow that doesn't overwhelm.  I baked the tofu slices double the amount of time called for (40 minutes versus 20) because I wanted a chewier strip, but that is probably a matter of personal preference.  After the tofu strips baked and cooled down, I made a sandwich out of them with lettuce, tomato, and vegan mayo on lightly toasted whole wheat bread.  Better than a BLT!

No comments:

Post a Comment