Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Deconstructed Hummus Pitas

One of the fun things about working my way through these recipes is finding myself closing in on certain sections of the book. For instance, in the Sandwiches, Pizza, & More chapter, there is a sub-section of 20 recipes called Sandwiches & Wraps. I realized as I made the "Deconstructed Hummus Pitas" (page 116), I had nearly wrapped this section up. There are now only 3 recipes left to try here, although some of them have already become regulars around my house (have I mentioned before how much both my husband and I enjoy sandwiches, at any meal?). The idea behind these wraps is to create the flavor of hummus but leave in some texture; to this end, the chickpeas are mashed with a fork rather than puréed in a food processor, then mixed with all the usual hummus ingredients: garlic, tahini, and lemon juice. Grated carrots are a surprise addition, adding even more texture, as well as a splash of color. This delicious filling is then spooned into whole wheat pita bread along with fresh sliced tomatoes and spinach leaves. If you are a hummus fan, you will definitely love these wraps!
 

"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" checklist:

ü     No changes necessary! J

No comments:

Post a Comment