Sunday, May 12, 2013

Macadamia-Cashew Patties

I reached a milestone of sorts when I made the "Macadamia-Cashew Patties" (page 119), as this wrapped up all the "Burger" recipes in the "Sandwiches, Pizza, and More" chapter. This is a section of the book I come back to again and again for the delicious chewy burgers that never fail to please. While most of these burger recipes contain varying amounts of gluten flour, the key ingredient for binding the burgers and providing chew, this particular recipe did not. Still, these burgers held together very nicely, enough so to put on a bun and garnish with all the regular trimmings. Macadamia nuts are very high in fat, and not an ingredient I would normally have hanging around in my pantry. There is also an equal amount of cashews in these rich burgers, but since I like my burgers less hefty than the recipe directions call for, I can get six to eight patties out of the mixture instead of four, which reduces the overall fat content per burger. In addition to the nuts, these burgers contain lots of veggies: carrot, onion, garlic, jalapeño, and cilantro, as well as a variety of herbs and spices that add layers of complexity. A delicious veggie burger to be sure, but I wouldn't want to make them too frequently due to the high fat content.
 
"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" checklist:
ü  Omit the oil when cooking the formed patties. Instead, use a nonstick skillet without any added oil or liquid. They will brown up very nicely from the fat content in the nuts.
ü  If serving on a bun, use a whole-grain, oil-free variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment