Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tofu Feta

One of the hardest things for most folks to give up on a vegan diet is cheese, and usually it takes a while to become accustomed to the vegan alternatives.  Some people never do, and just give cheese up altogether, both the vegan and dairy versions.  Over the years I have found some alternatives I like, and some I would never bother with again.  But I am always interested in trying any recipe for a dairy cheese replacement to see if I can add it to my repertoire.  I really liked the "Tofu Feta" (page 358), but I altered the recipe considerably.  The directions call for marinating cubed tofu in a mixture of 1/3 cup olive oil, lemon juice and salt.  I needed to get creative when figuring out how to omit the oil, and still retain enough flavor to keep things interesting.  I ended up using 1/3 cup water with 2-3 Tablespoons of mild white miso mixed into it as the oil replacement, and this was an excellent alternative.  While no one would ever mistake the final product either way as dairy feta cheese, the tofu version stands on its own merit and adds a delightful tangy topping to salads, pizza, potatoes, or anywhere else you might sprinkle feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment