Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mylie's Secret Queso Dip

"Mylie's Secret Queso Dip" (page 13) reminded me of very thick nacho cheese, or even of a cheese style fondue.  I've explored lots of uncheeses since becoming vegan, especially enjoying the recipes from Jo Stepaniak in her Uncheese Cookbook, and this recipe includes the usual ingredients that give it the cheesy flavor - namely, nutritional yeast and tahini.  This is a warm dip, and requires a bit of preparation, dicing up and sautéing onions, whisking oat flour into a roux, and adding several other ingredients to end up with a thick and chunky dip (from canned diced tomatoes and chilies).  I opted to use Rotel tomatoes for a spicier version, a good choice. I left out the oil and sautéed the onion in a little water instead.  I thought the dip was extremely thick, and ended up adding about ½ cup of water to get it to the consistency I wanted.  The recipe says to add more soy milk if needed to thin it down; I used water for a more neutral flavor.  This dip does a good job standing in for nacho cheese style dips.  I used it on homemade vegan oil-free tamales, and baked oil-free corn tortilla chips.  I think it would be especially good over baked potatoes.

6 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this recipe for ages but a little wary of it. However yours looked great so I thought I'd give it a go and it was delicious. It went very well with steamed vegetables. Thank you for helping me make the decision to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill! I'm so glad my post was helpful for you, and you made the decision to try the dip! :) Thanks for stopping by and letting me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for ALL of your entries! I am seriously going through all of them. I just bought The Starch Solution book and will be starting this weekend. I was a skeptical of some of the recipes. All of your posts have been extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, "Anonymous", for commenting on my blog. Your words encourage me to get back at it, I have been away far too long! I'm so glad my posts have been helpful to you, and I appreciate you letting me know! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this. I was recently gifted this book and I wish it included pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice gift for you, amba77! I hope you enjoy the recipes and that my pictures help you visualize your future efforts. Let me know if you try any of the recipes I've tested so far! :)

      Delete