Monday, October 18, 2010

Creamy Coleslaw

When it comes to coleslaw, I prefer creamy over tart.  The "Creamy Coleslaw" (page 72) looked like it fit the bill, so I made a batch to go with tonight's dinner of Maple Baked Beans (review to come soon) and grilled yams.  The recipe consists of sliced cabbage, grated carrot, and some seasoning, mixed with a creamy mayo dressing.  For the base of the dressing I used the "Vegan Mayonnaise" from this book (see review above), which was suggested in the coleslaw recipe.

Because this particular mayo already has two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it, and as I mentioned, I prefer creamy to tart, I omitted the additional apple cider vinegar called for in the dressing recipe itself.  You would probably want to leave it in if you prefer a sharper flavor. In my opinion, coleslaw gets better after it sits for a few hours, so I made it early in the day to be perfect by dinner.  But of course, I had to try a sample right away, and it was totally delicious without sitting for even five minutes! The zesty mayo is really the perfect dressing for this simple coleslaw, and I can't imagine using anything else now that I've found it.

This recipe was another that was completely McDougall Plan friendly without making any changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment