Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Magical Mystery Chocolate Cake

"Magical Mystery Chocolate Cake" (page 446) truly is mysterious! The biggest mystery to me, though, is how I even ended up with something edible, after realizing halfway through I failed to follow the instructions correctly (note in instruction #2 you are to add just half the cocoa powder at this point, oops!). Upon discovering my mistake, my first thought was to start completely over, but I had used the last of my cocoa powder and sugar, and I didn't feel like going to the store for more, or throwing out my efforts altogether, so I improvised and continued on. Luck was with me! The magic pulled through and I ended up with a most extraordinary and delicious cake. The unusual preparation (spreading a thick batter into the bottom of a pan and topping with a very liquid concoction of sugar-cocoa-water) results in a final chocolaty confection that is densely cake-like on the bottom, moist pudding in the middle, and like the crispy top of a brownie on the surface. The recipe calls for ¼ of oil, but I replaced this with prune purée  (I used a small container of baby food prunes; applesauce would work just as well). Try this cake if you are feeling adventurous!
Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:
                                                                                                                            
ü  Use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose (white) flour.
ü  Replace the oil with an equal amount of prune purée or unsweetened applesauce.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, I love your blog(s) which I found by chance! I made Robin's Magical Mystery cake this week and subbed unsweetened applesauce for the oil. I also cut the sugar down quite a bit. Because I'm a rebel, I cooked it in a loaf pan and after letting it cool for about an hour, it was delicious! Even my daughter, who is a devout NON-plant-based eater, loved it. I've been writing a PB/vegan blog for about a year called Edible Musings and I'd love for you to check it out! Happy Cooking and Travels, Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog(s) Lauren! Your version of the Magical Mystery Cake sounds awesome, and it passed the kid test, even more impressive! ;-) Thanks for pointing me to your blog, I will most definitely check it out. Happy Cooking!!

      Delete