Saturday, May 31, 2014

Roasted Vegetable Frittata

Even though the "Roasted Vegetable Frittata" (page 509) is found in the Breakfast and Brunch chapter of this book, I cooked it one night for dinner, served alongside a tossed green salad. In my opinion, there are many dishes that are not totally meal-specific, which can be easily interchanged. This is one of those dishes, especially since there are several steps involved in the preparation, and I find I don't like to spend that much time making breakfast. The first step is roasting the vegetables - yellow onion, Yukon Gold potato, yellow bell pepper (see the golden theme here?), and mushrooms. This step takes about 30 minutes and then you are ready to start assembling the frittata itself. In order to omit the olive oil required for the traditional roasting method, I placed the prepared veggies in the baking dish with a couple tablespoons of water, and then covered the pan with parchment paper and foil. This works well and you end up with baked rather than roasted vegetables, but to me, there really isn't that much difference, and it allows me to omit the oil completely. Blended tofu and seasonings are combined with the roasted veggies, and everything is put back in the oven for another 30-minute bake, with a 10-minute rest before serving. To my delight, I found the leftovers to be the perfect food for breakfast the following morning! J
 
Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:

 
ΓΌ Omit the oil when "roasting" the vegetables. Instead, use 2-3 Tablespoons of water, and cover the baking dish with parchment paper and foil. Bake until tender, about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! I love mushrooms in frittatas. I must admit I've only made one vegan frittata, the chickpea flour type. Not sure if yours is the chickpea flour or the tofu type, but it looks delicious nonetheless.

    Sometimes I roast vegetables in the oven in my cast iron skillet, with a tablespoon or two of water. I find that's the only way I can make them brown up as if there were oil added. It only works if the pan is half full or less... otherwise the vegetables would just steam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle! This frittata was made using tofu and nutritional yeast for the batter that would have traditionally been eggs, I guess. It was very tasty!

      I just recently got rid of the last of my cast iron cookware, or else I'd try the method you describe for roasting veggies, that sounds like a great way to brown them without using oil.

      Delete