Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sesame-Soy Breakfast Spread

I used to be a fan of bagels and cream cheese, and am always on the lookout for a healthy substitution for the dairy-based "schmear", now that I eat a plant based diet. Mostly it's hummus that graces my toasted bagels, but now I can also add "Sesame-Soy Breakfast Spread" (page 526) to my list of favorite toppers. I actually thought this spread was like both cream cheese (because of the tofu and nutritional yeast) and hummus (because of the tahini). A squeeze of fresh lemon juice also gives it the tang you would expect in both cream cheese and hummus. The recipe calls for 3 teaspoons of oil (a combination of flax and sesame oils), which I omitted altogether, without substituting anything in their places. The tahini contains "built in" sesame oil, and tofu is creamy as well, so I didn't see any need to add additional oil to this spread. If you find it is too dry without the oil, you can always add a little water to moisten it up a bit. Some tahini is very thin,while others are much thicker, so you may have to adjust accordingly.
 
"Keeping it McDougall Friendly" checklist:

ΓΌ Omit the oil altogether; if the spread is too dry, add a tablespoon of water to moisten it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment