Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Red Lentil Patties in Pita

"Red Lentil Patties in Pita" (page 122) is the 10th (out of 11) burger recipe I've tried from this book. The burger section has been most fun, and I often come back to these recipes when I'm craving a veggie burger. The mix for these patties consists of cooked red lentils, sautéed onion and potato, roasted cashews, and gluten or garbanzo flour (I used gluten), along with herbs and spices, all of which are combined in a food processor. Since everything ultimately ends up in the food processor, I didn't go to the extra effort of grating the potato before sautéing it, rather I just diced it into small cubes. The overall mixture came out quite moist, making it a tad bit difficult to form into patties; I could have added some oats or bread crumbs at this point, but decided since the patties were going to be tucked into pita bread, having them extra firm wasn't critical. These were very good, especially when topped with the  "Fresh Mint & Coconut Chutney". What I did to keep this within McDougall guidelines: Omitted the oil when sautéing the veggies; omitted the oil when cooking the patties; used whole grain, oil free pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment