Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sesame Seitan & Spinach Spring Rolls

"Sesame Seitan & Spinach Spring Rolls" (page 26) are in the appetizers chapter, but combined with Vegetable Fried Rice it become the centerpiece of an Asian inspired meal. Spring rolls have always been a little tricky for me, but even if they aren't wrapped as tightly as the ones I get in a restaurant, with a little patience they usually turn out tight enough, and these were perfectly delicious. The filling is a combination of marinated seitan rolled in sesame seeds, pan fried, then rolled up in rice paper wrappers along with shredded carrots and spinach. The marinade calls for a tablespoon of sesame oil, but I cut that back to ½ teaspoon, just enough to add flavor. I skipped the additional tablespoon of oil called for to sauté the seitan, using my non-stick skillet instead. The recipe suggests serving these with Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce, which I did, a perfect complement that rounded the meal out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment