Monday, May 14, 2012

Mushroom Goulash

The hearty "Mushroom Goulash" (page 326) is so delicious and the flavors are so addictive, I could probably eat this every day. A savory vegetable medley of onion, garlic, portobello mushrooms, and potato (surprised me too, but it worked!) are simmered in wine, broth, and tomato paste. Caraway seed provides the traditional seasoning you are looking for in a goulash, and instead of cabbage, this recipe calls for sauerkraut, a wonderful replacement as far as I'm concerned. Vegan sour cream is mixed into the cooked veggies, and the finished product is served over wide noodles. To keep this oil free, sauté the veggies in a non-stick skillet, and make or purchase an oil-free sour cream. With all the varieties of pastas on the market, it is getting easier and easier to find your favorite variety in a whole grain.

2 comments:

  1. Becky, it's too hot for this here in DE lately... but after reading your blog for a while now, I finally got this book for my Kindle Fire... and I love it! Wow.

    But I do have some sauerkraut languishing in my fridge, and I just have to round up the ingredients for tofu sour cream and some caraway seeds and I'm good to go. I don't drive, and finding anything but very basic groceries can be a time-consuming challenge in my neighborhood. There is a Korean market a short bus ride away that has very nice tofu.

    Thanks for all you do here. LOVE the comments and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the very kind words about my blog, I really do appreciate that! This dish would be a great way to use up your languishing sauerkraut, and worth the trip to your nearby Korean market for the tofu. Glad you stopped by, and let me know how you like the Mushroom Goulash when you make it. :)

    ReplyDelete