Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Rustic Cottage Pie

If you like shepherd's pie, you will adore the "Rustic Cottage Pie" (page 316), the vegan version of this fantastic comfort food.  Mixed vegetables (onion, carrot, celery, peas, and corn) and seitan are mixed with Mushroom Sauce (reviewed on this blog), spread into a casserole dish, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven. Not only is this a delicious and warming dinner, it is very healthy, chock full of colorful vegetables. It's easy to leave the oil out when sautéing the veggies, and instead of margarine, mash the potatoes with broth and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this tomorrow night for dinner. Any suggestions for a seitan replacement? I don't care for the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sarahleone!

      Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you are enjoying my take on these great recipes. Here are a couple of ideas for you to consider in lieu of using seitan:

      1) Substitute diced baked tofu. There are several brands of baked/smoked tofu on the market that would be a good choice - or make your own.

      2) Add chunks of cooked potato (any variety, including white, Yukon gold, red, or sweet potatoes or yams).

      3)Chunks of seasoned tempeh would be a tasty choice.

      4) Don't worry about using anything to replace the seitan, and maybe increase the volume of other vegetables.

      Let me know what you end up doing, I would be interested to know! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'm going to add more potatoes and greens beans. I really love your blog. I check it all the time since I cook out of the same book! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! :) Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate that!

      Delete