Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eight Treasure Barley Salad

"Eight Treasure Barley Salad" (page 85) makes a great one-dish meal for a hot summer day.  With the heat wave of 2011 that just won't seem to quit, turning on the stove or oven, especially in a 5th wheel trailer, is a horrid thought.  As it was, I pre-cooked the barley in my pressure cooker first thing in the morning before the mercury got completely out of hand, so putting the rest of the salad together later required no cooking whatsoever.  The eight treasures in this delicious salad include navy beans, celery, carrot, green onion, kalamata olives, dried cranberries, pecans, and parsley.  The dressing as written consists of a seasoned oil and vinegar mix; I replaced the oil with a light broth, increasing the volume as the barley tends to soak up the liquid as it sits.  Per my usual, I decreased the amount of barley called for by about 1/3 to bring the ratio of starch to other ingredients more to my liking.

2 comments:

  1. I love this salad, it is one of my favourites in the book. I used dried cherries instead of cranberries, and they were so great.
    Stay cool! It's winter here, though thankfully the days are fairly mild at the moment. I hate the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan! The dried cherries would be really good too. I would trade you some of our heat for some of your cold, then we could both be comfy!! :)

    ReplyDelete