Sunday, January 23, 2011

African-Inspired Red Bean Stew

I loved the "African-Inspired Red Bean Stew" (page 254). When I looked at this recipe, I figured I would like the combination of ingredients, but I didn’t realize just how nice it would all come together.  Kidney beans, potatoes, carrot, onion, and spinach made up the veggies, and the spices included garlic, ginger, cumin and cayenne.  The recipe called for (canned) diced green chilies, but I thought jalapenos might be better for a little more zip.  The secret ingredient was peanut butter, stirred into hot broth, and added back into the stew at the end of the cooking time.  The heat from the jalapeno combined with the peanut butter reminded me of the flavor from a Thai peanut sauce, and it was delicious!  I didn't have crushed tomatoes, as the recipe called for, so I used fire roasted diced tomatoes instead, which worked just fine.  I omitted the oil when I sautéed the onion and carrot, and that was the only change necessary to keep it McDougall Plan compatible. 

2 comments:

  1. I am SO excited to find your blog! I have that cookbook and haven't made a single recipe from it. Now I can use your experience as a good guide for me. And I'm following McDougall, so your blog is even more important to me! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blannie! Thanks for checking out my blog and for your kind words. :-) I'm happy my suggestions might be helpful to you as you explore the cookbook. I would be interested in hearing your feedback, comments, and ideas as you go through!

      Delete