Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Warm Lentil Salad with Walnuts

Little did I know the last time I was in Whole Foods, which is 70 miles from where I live, that I should have picked up green lentils.  There were half a dozen varieties of lentils available in the bulk section, but not knowing what I would really use them all for, and having limited space in my 5th wheel, I just picked up regular old brown lentils.  I love brown lentils in just about everything, but the "Warm Lentil Salad with Walnuts" (page 78) called for green lentils.  What to do!  I decided to be brave and use the brown lentils, being careful not to overcook them, and this worked out just fine. 

The cooked lentils are mixed with red bell pepper, toasted walnuts, red onion, and parsley, then drizzled with a blended dressing which called for vinegar, olive oil, shallot, garlic, and various spices.  I completely omitted the oil, substituting a rich dark vegetable broth in its place, which added a wonderful depth to the overall flavor.  I tasted the finished product when it was still warm, as intended, and it was luscious.  By the time we had it with dinner, it had cooled down to room temperature, and it was still very good.  The next day I had it cold with lunch, and I liked it that way, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment