Monday, November 29, 2010

Creamy Avocado Dressing

One of the things I really like about staying in Texas is I can always find tortillas, cilantro, and avocados, and reasonably priced!  Originally from California, it has been rather shocking to find ourselves in places where there is nary a tortilla to be found, and nobody has even heard of cilantro.  Today in the market there was a huge bin of avocados all perfectly ripe and ready to eat, so I bought a couple and turned one of them into "Creamy Avocado Dressing" (page 102).  I think I've just found my new favorite salad dressing!  The recipe gives you an option to use either lemon & parsley, or lime & cilantro, as part of the ingredients.  I opted to go with the lime and cilantro (Go Texas!) and that, along with just a smidge of cayenne and some fresh garlic, convinced me the name of this should be changed to Guacamole Dressing.

The recipe called for ¼ cup oil, but I knew the avocado would provide enough natural oil so that any additional would be unnecessary, and would not be missed.  Instead I used two tablespoons each water and soymilk to provide the liquid measure.  After everything was blended up, it was very thick and creamy, as is no doubt the intention, and would be perfect at this consistency as a dip or even a spread on a sandwich or a veggie burger.  But I wanted it a little thinner, so I added another two tablespoons of water to obtain the consistency I wanted for use as a salad dressing.

All I can say, it was a good thing there were no chips in the house, because if there had been, I don't think this dressing would have lasted until dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment