Thursday, April 12, 2018

Tuscan White Beans & Broccoli Rabe


“Tuscan White Beans & Broccoli Rabe”, (page 256), is a main dish that can be on the table in 30-minutes or so, providing you have cooked beans on hand. Five simple ingredients – broccoli rabe, garlic, beans, broth, and fresh rosemary – make up this stove-top meal, with broth standing in for the oil called for in the recipe. If you look closely, you might notice I did not use broccoli rabe, substituting broccoli instead. I have tried broccoli rabe a handful of times, and so far I’m not a fan, so I opted to take the safer route, and use broccoli crowns in their place. The dish seemed a little dry, so I included a cup of broth to make it more soupy. The recipe notes also suggest the optional addition of cooked pasta for an even heartier meal.

As simple as this dish looked, I was pleasantly surprised to find the combination of flavors exquisitely pleasing. Was it the broth? The fresh rosemary? The overall combination of everything? I can’t say for sure, but my husband and I ended up eating the entire potful in one sitting, that’s how much we both enjoyed it.

Keeping it “McDougall Friendly” check list:
  • Replace the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil with ½ - 1 cup of vegetable broth.

2 comments:

  1. I have only ever seen broccoli rabe here once, which was an exciting moment for me. But never again. So I always have to use something else as a stand in. Normally broccolini, though I know rabe is also quite leafy, so perhaps I should throw in some spinach as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Good idea on using broccolini, that would have been a great substitution for the rabe. Some additional leafy greens would be a good addition as well. I don't know what it is, but I just find the rabe too, too bitter. With so many other greens available, the options are endless! :)

      Delete