Friday, October 9, 2015

Salsa Verde

If this "Salsa Verde" (page 569) looks familiar, that's because it is very close in appearance, ingredients, and flavor as the Tomatillo Salsa I wrote up not too long ago. Made with the same base ingredients (tomatillos, onion, cilantro, hot peppers, and lime juice), the "Salsa Verde" includes fresh garlic, which I happily included, but also ¼ of oil, which I left completely out. One of the best things about salsa in general is that it is typically a naturally fat-free treat, so I had no qualms about omitting the oil in this recipe, and didn't miss it at all .The recipe calls for both parsley and cilantro, but since I am a big fan of cilantro, I left out the parsley and doubled up on the cilantro. Adjust the peppers to your taste. If a serrano chili doesn’t seem hot enough for you, consider using a jalapeƱo, which is what I did - and it came out quite hot! I love green salsa, and this one really delivered! It was good as a dip for fat free tortilla chips, corn thins, and as a topping for rice and beans. I also think it would be good on baked potatoes, scrambled tofu, or just about anywhere you would use any salsa.


Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:

  •  Omit the olive oil. No substitution is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment