Sunday, July 5, 2015

Orange-Date-Walnut Bread

I was so pleased with the "Orange-Date-Walnut Bread" (page 404), that I have added this one to my list of repeatable quick bread recipes. It is just slightly sweet, which I really appreciate, yet so festive and flavorful it would make a wonderful, fruity bread to make during the winter holidays. Fresh orange juice is the liquid, and since I used applesauce in place of the oil, this further enhanced the fruity flavors. Sweetened with dates and just ¼ cup maple syrup, the underlying flavors, and not sugar, are allowed to take center stage. The recipe suggests using other nuts, if you wish, such as almonds or pecans. I think any of these would be equally good. I added a teaspoon of cinnamon (the combination of ingredients just seemed to be begging for this), which was quite delicious, and filled the kitchen with wonderful cooking aromas.


Keeping it "McDougall Friendly" checklist:

  • Substitute the canola oil with ½ cup applesauce.
  • Use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose (white) flour.
  • Bake the bread in a non-stick loaf pan so you won't have to oil the pan prior to baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment