Thursday, August 30, 2012

Corn Fritters

The "Corn Fritters" (page 366) are surprisingly easy to make, and I wonder what took me so long to try them. I read the recipe several times while browsing through the book, and finally took the time to make them. I thought the batter was going to be the same consistency of pancake batter, so when I mixed up the flour, cornmeal, soymilk and corn kernels (along with baking powder and salt), and ended up with something closer to drop biscuits dough, I was sure I made a mistake. I looked at the recipe again to make sure I hadn't left anything out, and when it looked like I had done everything right, I figured this was how it was supposed to be. The batter is dropped into a hot skillet and fried on both sides until golden brown. The recipe calls for oil for the frying, but I used my nonstick skillet and no oil was necessary. These are a delicious treat! They would go well alongside soups or stews, or drizzled with maple syrup, or just eaten out of hand for a quick snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment