Monday, July 30, 2012

Cherry Clafoutis

Any recipe that is McDougall compliant as written is a bonus, but even more so in the dessert category. Desserts recipes are rarely oil-, egg-, and dairy-free. That's why I was so very happy when I read the recipe for "Cherry Clafoutis" (page 490) and found it didn't call for oil or margarine, and I could make the recipe without altering a thing! Not to mention it just plain sounded delicious. Per the recipe notes, Clafoutis is a French dessert of cherries baked into a pancakelike batter, and that seemed to be a fitting description. Basically you spread cherries (fresh or frozen - I used frozen with excellent results) in a pie plate, pour the batter over the top, and bake. Very easy. The batter consists of vegan yogurt, soymilk, vanilla, sweetener, flour, and baking powder. Just before serving, add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to each individual slice. This dessert was light, yet satisfying, and very elegant looking as well. I think it would be good with other soft fruit too, as the recipe suggests, such as strawberries or peaches, blueberries, or even plums. I could have used whole wheat pastry flour to up the nutritional value, and next time I make this, I might try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment